2008-09 School Theme – Mission Possible: Go Make a Difference!
Second Sunday of Advent Gospel of Mark 1: 1-8
“John the Baptist appeared in the desert proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. . . . I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” John the Baptist calls people to Christ; he invites them to turn to God, to be converted and to be baptized. John recognizes his mission as the one who prepares the way for Jesus. We prepare ourselves spiritually during Advent through prayer, penance and reaching out to the needs of others.
• No Mass on Wed., Dec. 10.
• Monday, Dec. 15 – Confessions for students in Gr. 3-8, starting at 9:45 and ending at 12:00 (Fr. Wilson, Fr. Runnion and Fr. Willey will be available for confessions)
• Wednesday, Dec. 17 – School Mass, 10:30 a.m. led by Fourth Grade
• Friday, Dec. 19 – Last school day of first semester; early dismissal for students – 11:45 for K4 & K5; 12:00 for Gr. 1-8. No After Care on this day.
• For the month of December, we are focusing on the virtue of Joy. Let’s take some opportunities during this month to bring joy to others in our community. For example, we could donate used coats to One Warm Coat in support of the service project of one of our students. All coat donations are due to the school by Friday, December 12.
• Test results for ITBS (Grades 3-8) and CogAT (First Grade) were mailed home today. Please meet with your child’s teacher or me if you any questions about the test scores.
• Second Semester begins on Monday, January 5, 2009. Student holidays for second semester are: Jan. 16 (Teacher in-service), Jan. 19 (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day), Feb. 13 (Teacher in-service), Feb. 16 (Presidents’ Day), March 20 (Bishop Thompson granted us a holiday on his visit to the school in November), April 9-19 (Easter holidays), May 22 (Teacher in-service) and May 25 (Memorial Day). The last day of school will be June 5.
• Dec. 9 6:00 p.m. – Upper School Band and Drama Performances
• Dec. 11-12 Beta Club Convention in Myrtle Beach
• Dec. 12 TAG Day ($1.00 donation to dress in red & green colors)
• Dec. 13 Breakfast at A.W. Shucks, 7:45 to 10:00 a.m. to support our Athletics program
• Dec. 16-18 Grade 8 exams for first semester
• Dec. 17 6:00 p.m. – Lower School Movement, Chorus and Drama Performances
• Dec. 18 4:30 p.m. CCS Band to perform in Marion Square
• Dec. 19 Early Dismissal – 11:45 for K4 & K5; 12:00 for Gr. 1-8. No After Care.
Development – PTO – School Board
• Brief PTO meeting at 6:00 p.m. on Dec. 9 just before the upper school performance.
• 2009 School Art Calendars – being published now – will be ready for New Year’s delivery. Complete the order form and return with payment ($15.00 per calendar) to the Development Office. The school will announce when the calendars are ready for pick up.