First Sunday of Lent - Gospel of Matthew 4:1-11 Jesus fasts and prays for forty days in the desert and then the devil appears and tempts Jesus three times. Each time, Jesus rebukes him and eventually the devil goes away. After the second temptation, Jesus said: “You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.” In the first reading from Genesis, Adam and Eve put God to the test when they eat the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden (as a result of the temptation by the devil – the serpent). Do we test God at times? On occasion, most of us fall to the temptation of pride and think we do not need God. For example, we may want to solve a significant issue with which we are struggling without resorting to prayer and reflection. We may think we have all the answers. By doing so, we become prideful, maybe even unconsciously thinking we are “god”. As we begin our Lenten journey, let’s ask God for his forgiveness for times when we have tested him as such, and let’s ask for God’s grace to seek his wisdom through prayer when we are contemplating a decision of some magnitude.
• School Mass, 10:30 a.m. Feb 13, led by Third Grade Class.
• School Mass, 10:30 a.m. Feb 20, led by Eighth Grade Class.
• Registration for 2008-09 school year for new families of area Catholic Churches began today.
• Faculty in-service day this coming Friday, Feb. 15 – no school for students.
• Presidents’ Day holiday – next Monday, Feb. 18 – no school for students & staff.
• CCS Spelling Bee – correction to the previous week’s results: we had co-champions – Faith Murray (Gr. 6) and Chandler Shealy (Gr. 6). Congratulations to both Faith and Chandler.
• All basketball game times and places are posted on our web site. Good luck to our Saints this week as the Trident League tournament games begin.
• Congratulations to our Junior boys’ basketball team (grades 5-6) for winning the regular season for their conference in the Trident League. They were perfect: 12-0!
• Tennis practice will be Thursdays from 3:45 to 5:00 p.m. at the Jack Adams Tennis Center behind the Citadel football stadium.
Development – PTO – School Board
• CCS Auction will be April 12, 2008.