Sunday, Nov. 11 was Veterans Day. We give thanks to all those who have served in the U.S. Military in the past and all who are currently serving our country. We also lift in prayer our hope for peace – in our communities, in our nation and in our world. From the Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi: “Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love.” From the Gospel of Matthew 5:9, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.” May we be God’s instruments of peace in our thoughts, words and actions.
• School Mass, 10:30 a.m. Nov.14, led by Eighth Grade Class.
• No school Mass, Nov. 21, due to Thanksgiving holidays
• Thanksgiving holidays – Wednesday to Friday, Nov 21-23 (no school)
• School Mass, 10:30 a.m. Nov. 28, led by Seventh Grade Class.
• Last Monday, the faculty attended an in-service program on Hilton Head Island. One of our speakers was Sister Pam Smith, SSCM, and she summarized Cardinal John Henry Newman’s principles on Catholic education. Some of these points are listed below:
• All areas of study have a religious aspect.
• Religion is a valid, serious subject.
• The arts express the human spirit.
• All knowledge is interconnected. If religion is left out, we may get respectable citizens, but we won’t get integrated persons.
• The Catholic Faith is very much a place to which right reason leads.
• The more educated we are, the more we realize how confounding and puzzling reality can be.
• No matter how good our science is or becomes, we have to acknowledge the mysterious and transcendent.
• In summary, a Catholic school education is intended to bring about wisdom and holiness for the students and teachers – greater knowledge and greater faith.
• Congratulations to six students whose art pieces were awarded prizes at the 2007 Coastal Carolina Fair: First place ribbons: Caroline Elliott (Gr. 1) and Arianna Villarreal (Gr. 6); Second place ribbon: Erica Kremer (Gr. 2); Third place ribbons: Hallie Buchanan (Gr. 3), Taylor Boatman (Gr. 7) and Gabby French (Gr. 7).
Development – PTO – School Board
• Oyster Roast – Nov. 17, 5:00 p.m. on Shem Creek – All CCS families and friends are welcome to attend this adult activity.