Gospel of Luke 18: 9-14 Jesus advocates the virtue of humility with a parable about a Pharisee and tax collector. In his prayer, the Pharisee thanks God that he is “not like the rest of humanity – greedy, dishonest, adulterous – or even like this tax collector.” In his prayer, the tax collector says, “God, be merciful to me a sinner.” Those with humility, like the tax collector, will be exalted by God, for salvation is God’s free gift, not something we can claim as our reward. Let’s ask God for the grace (and wisdom) to be humble.
• School Mass, THURSDAY, Nov. 1, (All Saints Day Mass) 10:30 a.m. led by Fourth Grade Class.
• School Mass, 10:30 a.m. Nov. 7, led by Third Grade Class.
• On Wednesday, Oct. 31, we will follow the Thursday class schedule, and on Thursday, Nov. 1, we will follow the Wednesday class schedule (due to Mass on a Thursday for the holy day). Please note this so that students will wear the proper uniforms on these days. In fact, Oct. 31 we will have a TAG day – no Halloween costumes, however. We will share the proceeds from this TAG day with Sr. Margaret Mary’s school in New Orleans.
• Teacher in-service day on Monday, Nov. 5 – no school for students. The faculty will be at St. Francis School on Hilton Head Island for a Diocesan program on Catholic identity.
• Communication with Principal and School Board: E-mails and letters sent to the principal, school board and school chaplain (Msgr. Roth) must be signed from the author in order for the content of the message to be addressed. Responses cannot be made to unknown or anonymous senders since the authenticity of the message is questionable. Thank you for complying with this communication protocol.
• TAG day – Wednesday, Oct. 31 – no Halloween costumes.
• Great job by everyone for supporting the World Food Day challenge by bringing food items for the OLM Community Outreach Services. We received a letter from Sister Mary Joseph and Sister Carol that said: “Our staff and volunteers were amazed at the amount of food donated by all of the schools. Our food pantry is once again well stocked and we will be able to provide adequate emergency food to families in need. Thank you for your participation in World Food Day 2007.”
Development – PTO – School Board
• School Spirit Night at Chick-fil-A in Mt. Pleasant, Nov. 1, 5-9 p.m.
• CCS Open House – Nov. 12 at 7:00 p.m. – for student recruitment for 2008-09. Please encourage families you know who might be interested in CCS to attend this Open House.
• Oyster Roast – Nov. 17, 5:00 p.m. on Shem Creek – All CCS families and friends are welcome to attend this adult activity.