Sharing Faith Loving Family
Celebrating Diversity Experiencing Art
Achieving Academic Excellence
Monday, January 25, 2010
Principal McKay’s Message to Charleston Catholic Families
2009-2010 School Theme – Unlocking God’s Gifts
Third Sunday in Ordinary Time Gospel of Luke 1: 1-4; 4: 14-21
In the synagogue, Jesus read from the prophet Isaiah that pointed to His own calling: “he has anointed me; he has sent me”. Jesus had a specific mission; each of us is called to a specific mission in our lives. Through prayer and reflection, we can communicate with God to see what He intends for us. How is God speaking to us this week? What are we being called to do?
Gift of Learning: This week, let’s express our gratitude to professors and instructors at technical schools, colleges and universities. They have the gift of teaching students to become independent adult learners. We owe our gratitude to these teachers who probably helped to direct us in the careers and occupations we have today. For the gift of adult learning, we say “thank you”.
School Masses – Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m. in Sacred Heart Catholic Church
• Jan. 27 – Sixth Grade
• Feb. 3 – Fifth Grade
• Feb. 10 – Third Grade
1. Registration for 2010-2011 for new students from the peninsula parishes begins today. Registration for new students from Catholic parishes off the peninsula begins Feb. 1.
2. DHEC will be offering the “booster” vaccine for the H1N1 flu on February 10 for students under the age of 10. Students who were absent on January 8 and students who did not turn in their permission forms for the shots given on January 8 may get their flu vaccine on February 10. More information and paperwork to come home today.
3. Catholic Schools Week begins this coming Sunday, Jan. 31. CCS will have a presence at the following Masses: 9:30am St. Mary of the Annunciation Catholic Church and 11:15am The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.
• Congratulations to Tom Feingold (Gr. 5) for earning third place (first alternate) in the Catholic schools’ spelling bee last Friday. Also representing Charleston Catholic at the spelling bee were Angelo Moe and Gabby Ward. We are proud of these students.
• Congratulations to Luke Vettel (Gr. 5) for winning the CCS Geography bee last week. Luke will now compete in the state geography bee. We wish him the best.
• Congratulations to Dillon Schaaf (Gr. 8) for earning Region Band honors.
• Permission forms are going home today for students in grades 3-8 who expressed an interest in playing on the CCS tennis teams in the City of Charleston tennis league. Please return these signed papers by Thursday, Jan. 28. Practices will begin the week of Feb. 8th at the Jack Adams tennis courts. More details on practices to come home soon, once we get the City’s approval to use the courts on the days we requested. In addition to the paperwork, students will need to pay the CCS athletic fee to play tennis.
• Basketball games for this week are:
• Jan. 25 – Jr. Girls 5:30 pm @ St. Andrews Middle
Jan. 25 - 7/8 Girls 4:00 pm @ St. Joseph
• Jan. 26 – Sr. Girls 8:00 pm @ Haut Gap
• Jan. 27 – Sr. Boys 6:00 pm @ West Ashley Middle
• Jan. 29 – Sr. Girls 7:00 pm @ Haut Gap
• Jan. 29 – Jr. Boys 6:00 pm @ Haut Gap
• Jan. 30 – Jr. Girls 1:30 pm @ Charleston Day
• Jan. 30 – Sr. Boys 12:00 pm @ Northwood Academy
• Jan. 31 – Sr. Girls 2:00 pm @ Bishop England
• Jan. 31 – Sr. Boys 3:00 pm @ Bishop England
Development – PTO – School Board
• School Board meeting – tonight
• CCS Oyster Roast for all families and friends – Saturday, Jan. 30, starting at 5:30 p.m.